Pizza Stuffed Zucchini
with spring green salad
Pizza stuffed zucchini first made an appearance in our meal plans last year and became an instant favorite. We like the combination of mushrooms and sausage featured here, but the filling for the zucchini can be adapted to use just about any pizza toppings you like.
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Zucchini, medium - 4 , halved (~6oz / 170g per zucchini)
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 16 oz
- Chunky Tomato Sauce (leftover from Monday) - 2 cups
- Cheese, shredded Italian blend - 4 oz
Spring Green Salad:
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Peas, frozen - 1/2 cup , defrosted
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mushrooms / Garlic - Prep as directed and store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Skip if vinaigrette was made ahead on Monday. Whisk together lemon juice, garlic powder, oregano, honey, and mustard. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Slice in half lengthwise and then use a spoon to scoop out the center of each zucchini half, leaving ~1/2” / 1.25cm thick shell on all sides (discard the center you scoop out or save it for another purpose). Check out this video. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Lettuce / Green onions - Prep as directed and combine.
- Peas - Defrost and drain.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven heats, brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil. Place zucchini halves on pan, cut-side facing up.
- Whisk together olive oil (portion for zucchini), garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Brush onto cut-side of zucchini halves.
- Transfer pan to heated oven and bake until zucchini halves are starting to turn tender and golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- While zucchini cooks, heat a saucepan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add sausage to mushrooms. Saute sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks until browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drain any excess liquid from pan. Add Chunky Tomato Sauce to sausage and simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Remove zucchini halves from oven and turn on the oven’s broiler.
- Fill zucchini with sausage and mushroom sauce and top with cheese. Return pan to oven and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, ~3 minutes more.
- Toss cucumbers, lettuce, peas, and green onions with vinaigrette.
- Serve zucchini with salad on the side. Enjoy!