Pizza Hand Pieswith spring green salad
- Puff pastry - 10 oz
- Chunky Tomato Sauce (leftover from Monday) - 2 cups
- Cheese, shredded Italian blend - 5 oz
- Pepperoni (opt) - 16
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1, whisked
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Peas, frozen - 1/2 cup, defrosted
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Puff pastry - Thaw according to package instructions. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Skip if vinaigrette was made ahead on Monday. Whisk together lemon juice, garlic powder (portion for vinaigrette), oregano, honey, and mustard. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Lettuce / Green onions - Prep as directed and combine.
- Peas - Defrost and drain.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Place puff pastry on a sheet pan and slice into 8 small rectangles (amount for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). Fill the center of each rectangle with tomato sauce, cheese, and pepperoni (if using). (Note: Don’t overfill the puff pastry with sauce. If you have extra sauce, save it for dipping the finished hand pies.)
- Dip your fingers in water and run your fingers around the edges of each rectangle. Fold puff pastry rectangles over to enclose filling and press edges to enclose (the water should help the pastry to stick). Cut a small slit in the top of each pastry.
- Whisk eggs with garlic powder and Italian seasoning and brush over tops of puff pastry.
- Bake hand pies until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Toss cucumbers, lettuce, peas, and green onions with vinaigrette.
- Serve hand pies with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 40 reviews
I used puff pastry and flattened it out to 1.5 times it’s normal size. This makes each pizza just a little bit bigger and I was able to put a fair amount of sauce, mozzarella, and vegetarian sausage in them. My husband and I each had two, plus sides. It was plenty. I also used my toaster oven for 9-11 minutes rather than the big oven. Score! I’m marking the recipe as a favorite to definitely make again.
We loved it. Had to double the recipe to feed 4 though. Just wasn’t enough to fill everyone. We filled ours with artichoke hearts and beef.
So easy and delicious.
Epic fail. Couldn’t use sauce from previous dinner for 4yo so used pesto instead. Store was out of puff pastry so used pizza dough and phyllo dough. A lot of work and ended up pretty greasy.
Used 2 boxes of puff pastry to make 8 large triangle hand pies, then cut them in half out of the oven. I added leftover chicken and jalapeño. Wanted to love them but so much pastry made them a little too indulgent and greasy.
We loved it 😊