Mushu Chicken Lettuce Wraps
with carrots / shiitakes / cabbage
We've been excited to update and refresh this 'take-out fake-out' since it was featured in the early days of our meal planning service in 2014. Once you try it, you won't believe how easy it is to make this Chinese-inspired favorite at home.
Mushu Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin - 1 Tbsp (sub rice vinegar)
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Carrots - 8 oz , finely diced
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Cabbage, green - 12 oz , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , thinly sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 12 leaves (sub green leaf or iceberg)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - for serving (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together aminos, mirin, maple syrup, water, and arrowroot powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots - Dice carrots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions / Garlic / Cabbage - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice into thin strips. Season and tenderize. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce - Separate leaves.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then carrots and mushrooms. Saute until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Add in white parts of green onions, garlic, and cabbage with a pinch of salt.
- Push all the vegetables to the side, forming a hole in the middle (like a donut). Place chicken in the donut hole. Give your sauce a stir, and then pour it over the chicken.
- Once sauce starts to bubble and darken, toss to mix. Continue to stir-fry until chicken is cooked through (since the chicken has been sliced into thin strips, this shouldn't take more than another 4 to 5 minutes).
- Let everyone assemble their own mushu lettuce wraps by topping lettuce leaves with filling. Finish them with Sriracha and green parts of green onion. Enjoy!