Mushu Chicken with Rice
with carrots / shiitakes / cabbage
We've been excited to update and refresh this 'take-out fake-out' since it was featured in the early days of our meal planning service in 2014. Once you try it, you won't believe how easy it is to make this Chinese-inspired favorite at home.
Mushu Chicken with Rice:
- Tamari - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin - 1 Tbsp (sub rice vinegar)
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Carrots - 8 oz , finely diced
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Cabbage, green - 12 oz , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hoisin sauce, gluten-free - for serving (sub Sriracha)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together Tamari, mirin, brown sugar, water, and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots - Dice carrots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions / Garlic / Cabbage - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice into thin strips. Season and tenderize. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then carrots and mushrooms. Saute until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Add in white parts of green onions, garlic, and cabbage with a pinch of salt.
- Push all the vegetables to the side, forming a hole in the middle (like a donut). Place chicken in the donut hole. Give your sauce a stir, and then pour it over the chicken.
- Once sauce starts to bubble and darken, toss to mix. Continue to stir-fry until chicken is cooked through (since the chicken has been sliced into thin strips, this shouldn't take more than another 4 to 5 minutes).
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve mushu stir-fry over rice with hoisin sauce (or Sriracha) and green onions on top. Enjoy!