Mushu Chicken Wrapswith carrots / shiitakes / cabbage
We've been excited to update and refresh this 'take-out fake-out' since it was featured in the early days of our meal planning service in 2014. Once you try it, you won't believe how easy it is to make this Chinese-inspired favorite at home.
Smarts: No need to find authentic 'mushu' wrappers. Flour tortillas work just fine!
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin - 1 Tbsp (sub rice vinegar)
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Carrots - 8 oz, finely diced
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Cabbage, green - 12 oz, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, flour and taco-sized - 8
- Hoisin sauce - for serving (sub Sriracha)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, water, and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots - Dice carrots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions / Garlic / Cabbage - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice into thin strips. Season and tenderize. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then carrots and mushrooms. Saute until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Add in white parts of green onions, garlic, and cabbage with a pinch of salt.
- Push all the vegetables to the side, forming a hole in the middle (like a donut). Place chicken in the donut hole. Give your sauce a stir, and then pour it over the chicken.
- Once sauce starts to bubble and darken, toss to mix. Continue to stir-fry until chicken is cooked through (since the chicken has been sliced into thin strips, this shouldn't take more than another 4 to 5 minutes).
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Let everyone assemble their own mushu wraps using hoisin (or Sriracha), filling, and green parts of green onion. Enjoy!
This meal has 50 reviews
I think this was user error on my husband’s part. I opened my dinner at work. No tortillas and no hoisin sauce. Completely disappointed in dinner. Needed salt/pepper, too.
Something was missing. Add TJ's Yuzu and ginger to taste.
Was sweet-used Hoisen on top. Used shredded carrots & bag cabbage. Won’t use shredded carrots next time, way too much carrot flavor or just used too much. 8 year old ate veggie over rice. Used tortillas, interested in finding moo shoo wraps .
We used naan instead of tortillas. It was delicious.
Surprisingly delicious! Napa cabbage is my new favorite. Doubled all veggies. Used paleo sauce but had to add tortilla. Hit with while family.
Loved it! I was out of soy sauce, so I used hoisin instead. Also subbed pork tenderloin (sliced into strips) for the chicken.