with Italian grilled cheese
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Cheese, shredded Italian blend - 6 oz
- Onions, medium red - 1/2, diced
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Zucchini - 1 lb, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Heat a Dutch oven with cooking oil (portion for soup) over medium. Add onions and carrots and saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, dried basil, and tomato paste and saute for 1 minute more. Add diced tomatoes (including liquid), zucchini, and stock. Cover soup and simmer until zucchini is tender, ~10 minutes.
- While soup simmers, butter one side of each piece of bread with about 1/2 Tbsp (7g) of butter each. Lay out bread buttered-side down. Layer with cheese and top with bread, buttered-side up. Continue until all sandwiches are made.
- Heat up a griddle or a skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches onto heated surface (as many as can fit) and press down throughout the grilling process with a spatula. Flip once the first side is golden, ~ 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice into long strips (note: the strips are fun for dipping in soup, but feel free to just slice them into any shape you prefer).
- Return to soup and add beans. Simmer for 1 minute more to heat beans. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with grilled cheese on the side. Enjoy!
Ran the immersion blender in the soup for a nice consistency. Yummy!0 Helpful
Was really good- loved having tomato sauce for 2 meals0 Helpful
Simple, easy, plenty of leftovers for another dinner and lunches. Substituted asparagus for salad.0 Helpful
Dreaded this meal because 4yo won’t eat tomato anything or lettuce and substitutions are challenging, plus seems so hard compared to a jar of sauce from store. However, husband loved it and it did taste better than pre-made jar.0 Helpful
Made this with Quorn chicken to keep it vegetarian (the bruschetta soup just wasn't speaking to me in the same way). Very delicious!0 Helpful
This was delicious and much easier than my usual fried chicken parm. I served it with garlic & lemon roasted broccolini.0 Helpful