and side salad with chicken
Inspired by Italian bruschetta, this fresh, vegetable packed soup is colorful and fast. Enjoy an easy and hearty side salad with chicken to round out the meal.
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
House Salad with Chicken:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Onions, medium red - 1/2 , diced
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Zucchini - 1 lb , diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Onions / Carrots / Zucchini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store onions and carrots in one container. Store zucchini and garlic in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. Whisk together lemon juice, garlic powder, oregano, honey, and mustard. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season with Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Olives - Prep as directed and combine.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven with cooking oil over medium-heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Set chicken aside and allow to cool slightly before adding it to the salad. Return Dutch oven to heat.
- Add cooking oil (portion for soup) to Dutch oven and then onions and carrots and saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, dried basil, and tomato paste and saute for 1 minute more. Add diced tomatoes (including liquid), zucchini, and stock. Cover soup and simmer until zucchini is tender, ~10 minutes.
- While soup simmers, toss lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and chicken with half the vinaigrette (reserve half if doubled).
- Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with salad on the side. Enjoy!