with cheese / angel hair pasta / side salad
Chunky Tomato Sauce (for 2 nights):
- Onions, medium red - 1/2 , diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Pasta, gluten-free angel hair - 8 oz (sub gluten-free spaghetti or linguini)
- Foil - for cooking
- Cheese, shredded Italian blend - 3 oz
- Chunky Tomato Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 2 cups
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store onions in one container. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Heat a Dutch oven with olive oil (portion for sauce) over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, dried basil, and tomato paste and saute for 1 minute more. Add diced and crushed tomatoes and sugar. Cover sauce, reduce to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and season with some salt or a pinch more sugar if you’d like it a bit more sweet. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead.)
- Make vinaigrette - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. Whisk together lemon juice, garlic powder, oregano, honey, and mustard. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken in half. Toss with cooking oil, Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Olives - Prep as directed and combine.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler.
- Bring a stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Brush foil with some cooking oil and spread chicken out on pan. Broil chicken, turning halfway through cooking, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of chicken and slide back under the broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top pasta with half the tomato sauce (reserve the other half) and then the chicken.
- Reserve half the vinaigrette if doubled. Toss lettuce, tomatoes, and olives with the remainder.
- Serve chicken and pasta with salad on the side. Enjoy!