Bruschetta Chickenwith cheese / angel hair pasta / side salad
Pasta, red sauce, chicken, and melted cheese - what's not to like? This hearty dinner is one that everyone is sure to love and the leftovers reheat well.
- Onions, medium red - 1/2, diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Pasta, angel hair - 8 oz (sub spaghetti or linguini)
- Foil - for cooking
- Cheese, shredded Italian blend - 3 oz
- Chunky Tomato Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 2 cups
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store onions in one container. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Heat a Dutch oven with olive oil (portion for sauce) over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, dried basil, and tomato paste and saute for 1 minute more. Add diced and crushed tomatoes and sugar. Cover sauce, reduce to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and season with some salt or a pinch more sugar if you’d like it a bit more sweet. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead.)
- Make vinaigrette - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. Whisk together lemon juice, garlic powder, oregano, honey, and mustard. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken in half. Toss with cooking oil, Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Olives - Prep as directed and combine.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler.
- Bring a stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Brush foil with some cooking oil and spread chicken out on pan. Broil chicken, turning halfway through cooking, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of chicken and slide back under the broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top pasta with half the tomato sauce (reserve the other half) and then the chicken.
- Reserve half the vinaigrette if doubled. Toss lettuce, tomatoes, and olives with the remainder.
- Serve chicken and pasta with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 54 reviews
Ran the immersion blender in the soup for a nice consistency. Yummy!
Was really good- loved having tomato sauce for 2 meals
Simple, easy, plenty of leftovers for another dinner and lunches. Substituted asparagus for salad.
Dreaded this meal because 4yo won’t eat tomato anything or lettuce and substitutions are challenging, plus seems so hard compared to a jar of sauce from store. However, husband loved it and it did taste better than pre-made jar.
Made this with Quorn chicken to keep it vegetarian (the bruschetta soup just wasn't speaking to me in the same way). Very delicious!
This was delicious and much easier than my usual fried chicken parm. I served it with garlic & lemon roasted broccolini.