Jerk Portobello Mushrooms
with coconut rice / tomato and cucumber salsa
A version of this meal was first featured in 2015. We previously used this spice mix with cauliflower but it adds great flavor to portobello mushrooms in this updated recipe. This time we're also using a fresh salsa to top the entire dish.
Jerk Portobello Mushrooms:
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4 , stems removed
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Foil - for baking
Coconut Rice and Beans:
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Ginger - 1 tsp , grated
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Rice, long-grain, uncooked - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
Tomato and Cucumber Salsa:
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups , halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz , diced
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Marinate portobellos - Remove stems from mushrooms. Mix together jerk seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar, and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Spread portobellos out in a baking dish. Add marinade and toss to combine. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prepare as directed and combine.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Cover baking dish with portobellos tightly with foil. Transfer portobellos to oven and roast, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue roasting until tender, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- While portobellos roast, heat a Dutch oven or non-stick pot over medium-high heat for rice and beans. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, ginger and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, stock, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro with vinegar, and olive oil.
- Remove and discard bay leaves from rice. Fold in beans.
- Serve portobellos over rice (pour cooking liquid over top) with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy salsa over top!