Jerk Portobello Mushrooms
with coconut rice / tomato and cucumber salsa
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, stems removed
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Foil - for baking
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Rice, long-grain, uncooked - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups, halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Marinate portobellos - Remove stems from mushrooms. Mix together jerk seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar, and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Spread portobellos out in a baking dish. Add marinade and toss to combine. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prepare as directed and combine.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Cover baking dish with portobellos tightly with foil. Transfer portobellos to oven and roast, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue roasting until tender, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- While portobellos roast, heat a Dutch oven or non-stick pot over medium-high heat for rice and beans. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, ginger and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, stock, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro with vinegar, and olive oil.
- Remove and discard bay leaves from rice. Fold in beans.
- Serve portobellos over rice (pour cooking liquid over top) with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy salsa over top!
The chicken was awesome, the rice tasted amazing but it sticky even when it wasn't cooked all the way. Overall it was very tasty, I will try it again and hopefully get the rice not sticky.0 Helpful
Doubled the spices for 1.5lb chicken and it was spectacular. Gf said "this is my favorite thing you've ever made". Will definitely do again0 Helpful
Felt like the chicken and rice were both lacking a little flavor. The chicken had a strong cinnamon flavor, but it need some other flavors with it. I enjoyed the cucumber and tomato salsa, but I did not feel like it went well with the rice and chicken.0 Helpful
Coconut rice and salad were great. The chicken was too sweet and next time I would omit the sugar.0 Helpful
The rice was so good!0 Helpful
Delicious! Made the rice in the rice cooker.0 Helpful