Jerk Chicken Thighs
with mashed sweet potatoes / tomato and cucumber salsa
Jerk Chicken Thighs:
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
Mashed Coconut Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Coconut milk, light - 1/4 cup
Tomato and Cucumber Salsa:
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups , halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz , diced
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Marinate chicken - Mix together jerk seasoning, honey, cinnamon, aminos, vinegar, and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Toss marinade with chicken and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Peel and chop into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prepare as directed and combine.
- Place sweet potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- Mash sweet potatoes with coconut milk, starting with less and adding more as needed. Season to taste with some salt.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and then add chicken. Sear for ~3 minutes, flip and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and cook for another 3 minutes or until chicken is done (165F or 74C).
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro with vinegar, and olive oil.
- Serve chicken with mashed sweet potatoes and lime wedges. Enjoy salsa over top!