Jerk Chicken Thighs
with mashed sweet potatoes / tomato and cucumber salsa
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Coconut milk, light - 1/4 cup
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups, halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Marinate chicken - Mix together jerk seasoning, honey, cinnamon, aminos, vinegar, and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Toss marinade with chicken and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Peel and chop into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prepare as directed and combine.
- Place sweet potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- Mash sweet potatoes with coconut milk, starting with less and adding more as needed. Season to taste with some salt.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and then add chicken. Sear for ~3 minutes, flip and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and cook for another 3 minutes or until chicken is done (165F or 74C).
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro with vinegar, and olive oil.
- Serve chicken with mashed sweet potatoes and lime wedges. Enjoy salsa over top!
The chicken was awesome, the rice tasted amazing but it sticky even when it wasn't cooked all the way. Overall it was very tasty, I will try it again and hopefully get the rice not sticky.0 Helpful
Doubled the spices for 1.5lb chicken and it was spectacular. Gf said "this is my favorite thing you've ever made". Will definitely do again0 Helpful
Felt like the chicken and rice were both lacking a little flavor. The chicken had a strong cinnamon flavor, but it need some other flavors with it. I enjoyed the cucumber and tomato salsa, but I did not feel like it went well with the rice and chicken.0 Helpful
Coconut rice and salad were great. The chicken was too sweet and next time I would omit the sugar.0 Helpful
The rice was so good!0 Helpful
Delicious! Made the rice in the rice cooker.0 Helpful