Jerk Chicken Thighs
with coconut rice / tomato and cucumber salsa
A version of this meal was first featured in 2015 and the spice mix for the chicken gets great reviews each time we repeat it. This time we're using a fresh salsa to top the hearty chicken and coconut rice and beans.
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Rice, long-grain, uncooked - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups, halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, diced
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Marinate chicken - Mix together jerk seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, Tamari, vinegar, and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Toss marinade with chicken and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prepare as directed and combine.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven or non-stick pot over medium-high heat for rice and beans. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, stock, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and then add chicken. Sear for ~3 minutes, flip and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and cook for another 3 minutes or until chicken is done (165F or 74C).
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro with vinegar, and olive oil.
- Remove and discard bay leaves from rice. Fold in beans.
- Serve chicken with lime wedges and coconut rice. Enjoy salsa over top!
The chicken was awesome, the rice tasted amazing but it sticky even when it wasn't cooked all the way. Overall it was very tasty, I will try it again and hopefully get the rice not sticky.0 Helpful
Doubled the spices for 1.5lb chicken and it was spectacular. Gf said "this is my favorite thing you've ever made". Will definitely do again0 Helpful
Felt like the chicken and rice were both lacking a little flavor. The chicken had a strong cinnamon flavor, but it need some other flavors with it. I enjoyed the cucumber and tomato salsa, but I did not feel like it went well with the rice and chicken.0 Helpful
Coconut rice and salad were great. The chicken was too sweet and next time I would omit the sugar.0 Helpful
The rice was so good!0 Helpful
Delicious! Made the rice in the rice cooker.0 Helpful