Jerk Chicken Thighs
with coconut rice / tomato and cucumber salsa
A version of this meal was first featured in 2015 and the spice mix for the chicken gets great reviews each time we repeat it. This time we're using a fresh salsa to top the hearty chicken and coconut rice and beans.
Jerk Chicken Thighs:
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
Coconut Rice and Beans:
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Ginger - 1 tsp , grated
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 1
- Rice, long-grain, uncooked - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
Tomato and Cucumber Salsa:
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 1/2 cups , halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz , diced
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Marinate chicken - Mix together jerk seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar, and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Toss marinade with chicken and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers / Cilantro - Prepare as directed and combine.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or non-stick pot over medium-high heat for rice and beans. Pour in coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, stock, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and then add chicken. Sear for ~3 minutes, flip and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and cook for another 3 minutes or until chicken is done (165F or 74C).
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro with vinegar, and olive oil.
- Remove and discard bay leaves from rice. Fold in beans.
- Serve chicken with lime wedges and coconut rice. Enjoy salsa over top!