with rice noodles / zucchini / soft boiled egg
Curry soups like tofu laksa are great for cool weather - they pack a bit of heat and are extra satisfying with the addition of creamy coconut milk. Use a homemade curry base made with aromatics to create a flavorful foundation for the soup.
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.25cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Jalapenos - 1 , diced
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks , diced (sub lemongrass paste 1 tsp / stalk)
- Ginger - 1 tsp , grated
- Curry paste, any color - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce - 2 tsp
- Zucchini - 1 lb , cubed
- Noodles, rice - 6 oz
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs , chopped
- Lime juice - 4 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.25cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Shallots / Jalapenos / Lemongrass / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make curry base - Combine shallots, jalapenos, lemongrass, ginger, curry paste, coriander, turmeric, salt, oil, and soy sauce. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook noodles - Boil noodles according to package directions. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add curry base and saute until fragrant, ~3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and saute for a minute to coat zucchini in spices.
- Add tofu, coconut milk, water, and brown sugar and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- While soup simmers, bring a small saucepan of water to a low boil. Add eggs to boiling water and boil for exactly 7 minutes (this will yield cooked whites and runny yolks, so boil a minute less or more if you like your eggs cooked differently). Transfer eggs to a colander and run under tap water. When cool enough to handle, peel eggs.
- Chop cilantro.
- Divide noodles between serving bowls. Ladle soup over noodles. Slice eggs in half and top each bowl of soup with eggs. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice and cilantro. Enjoy!