with zucchini noodles / soft boiled egg
Curry soups like shrimp laksa are great for cool weather - they pack a bit of heat and are extra satisfying with the addition of creamy coconut milk. Use a homemade curry base made with aromatics to create a flavorful foundation for the soup.
Shrimp Laksa with Zucchini Noodles:
- Shrimp - 16 oz , peeled and deveined
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Jalapenos - 1 , diced
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks , diced (sub lemongrass paste 1 tsp / stalk)
- Ginger - 1 tsp , grated
- Curry paste, any color - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Zucchini - 1 lb , spiralized, cut into ribbons with a peeler or cubed
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Eggs - 4
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs , chopped
- Lime juice - 4 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
- Shallots / Jalapenos / Lemongrass / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make curry base - Combine shallots, jalapenos, lemongrass, ginger, curry paste, coriander, turmeric, salt, oil, and fish sauce. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. (Note: If you prefer, you can also just slice the zucchini into cubes.)
- Heat a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add curry base and saute until fragrant, ~3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- While soup simmers, bring a small saucepan of water to a low boil. Add eggs to boiling water and boil for exactly 7 minutes (this will yield cooked whites and runny yolks, so boil a minute less or more if you like your eggs cooked differently). Transfer eggs to a colander and run under tap water. When cool enough to handle, peel eggs.
- Chop cilantro.
- Return to soup. Add shrimp and zucchini and simmer until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Taste soup and season with some salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Slice eggs in half and top each bowl of soup with eggs. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice and cilantro. Enjoy!