Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus Pita Pizzas
with balsamic zucchini
The unique combination of roasted butternut squash and hummus on these pizzas that were last featured in February 2017 always gets great reviews from our community. We wanted to keep the prep even shorter this time, so we're using pita / flatbread instead of pizza dough.
- Butternut squash - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 6 oz, sliced
- Pita, flatbread or naan - 4
- Hummus - 3/4 cup (pick a neutral flavor)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Squash / Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Roast squash - (Skip if squash was roasted ahead on Tuesday.) Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Toss butternut squash with brown sugar, balsamic vinegar (portion for the pizzas), olive oil, and some salt and pepper. Spread butternut squash out onto a sheet pan. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until golden and caramelized. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cheese - Thinly slice cheese. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Spread pita / flatbread out in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Transfer sheet pan to the oven and toast pita for 3 minutes to start them cooking (this initial time in the oven gets the flatbreads a little crisp; if you put toppings on first, the bread may get soggy).
- Remove pita from the oven and top with hummus, mozzarella, shallots, and squash. Return to oven and continue cooking until cheese is bubbly and flatbreads are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While pizzas cook, heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini with some salt and saute until tender and golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and balsamic vinegar (portion for the zucchini) and cook for 1 minute more.
- Enjoy pizzas with zucchini on the side.
Yummy. Loved the zucchini. Added a drizzle of balsamic on the pizzas, very good. Will make again.0 Helpful
Didn't make the zucchini because of the mixed reviews. Used olive hummus and garlic naan, caramelized the shallots. This was DELICIOUS! And so easy if you've already got the roasted squash.0 Helpful
Announced these as "flatbreads" so as to set expectations appropriately (vs. calling them pizzas). Roasted the squash with some rosemary salt, which added to the flavor profile really nicely! And added a little chicken sausage to my husband's. He was pleasantly surprised. I think white bean hummus would be really good on this, too. Leftover squash, zucchini, and cheese are going in a frittata tomorrow. :)0 Helpful
I really liked this! I used garlic naan, which I think makes pretty much everything better. :) I'd cook the shallots in advance next time, but everything else was good as written. I liked the zucchini as well - not as exciting as the pizzas, but just fine for a simple side dish.0 Helpful
Loved this and how it came together so quickly.0 Helpful
This was surprisingly amazing. Made the pizzas with the butternut squash, caramelized garlic / shallots, goat cheese, green olives. Some with shredded mozzarella on top, some without. Was good either way. Didn't make the zucchini based on comments. Would do roasted brussels sprouts on the side next time. Since the squash was roasted ahead of time, this was easy and delicious!0 Helpful