Warm Israeli Couscous
with butternut squash / chickpeas / spinach
Warm Israeli Couscous Pasta Salad:
- Butternut squash - 1 1/2 lbs , cubed
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Pasta, Israeli couscous - 1 1/4 cups
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Cheese, goat (opt) - 4 oz (sub feta)
- Squash / Shallots - Prep as directed (prep squash for Thursday night at the same time). Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Roast squash - Double if making Thursday nights’ meal. Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Toss butternut squash with brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and some salt and pepper. Spread butternut squash out onto a sheet pan. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until golden and caramelized. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook Israeli couscous - Cook Israeli couscous according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- If squash was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half doubled for Thursday.)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, stir in mustard, maple syrup, and soy sauce. Add beans, shallots, and spinach and saute until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in couscous and continue heating until warmed through.
- Remove from heat and add squash, parsley, cranberries, and pistachios.
- Crumble goat cheese (if using) over couscous just before serving. Enjoy!