Panko Crusted Salmon
and Israeli couscous salad with butternut squash
This panko crusted salmon has long been one of our community's favorites. This time we're serving it with a warm Israeli couscous salad packed with colorful roasted butternut squash and dried cranberries.
Smarts: Roast a double batch of butternut squash tonight and Thursday's pita pizzas will come together in a flash.
- Parsley - 2 tsp, chopped
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Foil - for lining pan
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butternut squash - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Pasta, Israeli couscous - 1 cup (sub any small pasta shape)
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Squash - Peel and cube squash (prep squash for Thursday night at the same time). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Roast squash - Double if making Thursday nights’ meal. Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Toss butternut squash with brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and some salt and pepper. Spread butternut squash out onto a sheet pan. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until golden and caramelized. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook Israeli couscous - Cook Israeli couscous according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley (for salmon and couscous) - Chop parsley. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Salmon - Divide fish up into number of servings you're making. Rinse and dry fish. Lightly salt and pepper.
- Make crust - Melt butter in the microwave (~1 minute should do). Mix butter with mustard, maple syrup, soy sauce, panko, and parsley (portion for the salmon).
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Line sheet pan with foil and brush with cooking oil. Add salmon and then divide and spoon crust onto fish. Bake for 12 to 16 minutes.
- If couscous and / or squash were made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half the squash if doubled for Thursday.)
- Toss together couscous, squash, parsley (portion for couscous), cranberries, and pistachios. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. You can add a splash of balsamic vinegar if you’d like a little more tart flavor.
- Serve salmon with couscous on the side. Enjoy!
Pretty manageable if you roast the squash in advance0 Helpful
So good! Made it for vegetarian friends and we all loved it.0 Helpful
I thought this was good. I would leave out the butternut squash though -- didn't do it for me... and one less step. I'd double the amount of couscous.0 Helpful
Sam loved the crust on this salmon. Didn't do the couscous. It's a quick salmon make.0 Helpful
loved it!0 Helpful
Salmon was delicious. Coucous could have used a little more oomph - maybe should have tried the balsamic vinegar splash.0 Helpful