Hoisin Tofu Rice Bowls
with bok choy
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Ketchup - 3 Tbsp
- Hoisin sauce - 3 Tbsp (look for this sweet Chinese sauce in the international aisle)
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 1/2 cups
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Bok choy, baby - 8 oz, chopped, leaves and stems separate (sub regular bok choy or cabbage)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - This makes enough for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots - Slice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine stock, ketchup, Hoisin sauce, cornstarch, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bok choy / Limes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tofu - Season tofu with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick pan with first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Add tofu and sear on all sides until golden brown, ~8 minutes. Set tofu aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil to heated pan. Add shallots and bok choy stems and saute until tender. Add bok choy leaves and saute for 1 minute more. Give sauce a stir. Add tofu and sauce to pan. Simmer for 1 minute to let sauce thicken and flavor ingredients.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half for Thursday.)
- Divide rice between bowls. Top with tofu, bok choy, and sauce. Finish bowls with sesame seeds sprinkled on top and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over top. Enjoy!
Wow! So Good! This is going in the rotation! The whole family approved and honestly this was such an easy after work meal to make.0 Helpful
Had guests and we all loved it! Excellent, filling, huge hit.0 Helpful
Quite possibly my FAVORITE CookSmarts meal! Don't change a thing! ❤️❤️0 Helpful
The family loves it!0 Helpful
This is SO yummy. No need to double the sauce, but I did double the spices on the meat. Easily subbed spinach and other vegetables for the bok choy.0 Helpful
Sauce was too watery and bland. Don’t make this again0 Helpful