Slow Cooker Chicken Pozole
with avocados / radishes / sour cream
Latin spices and ingredients develop flavor in the slow cooker in this unique soup that we first featured in a meal plan in June 2015.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pozole:
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Peppers, poblanos - 2 , diced (sub bell peppers; 1 bell pepper / 2 poblanos)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Hatch chilis, canned (10 oz / 283g) - 1 can , drained (sub any canned mild green chilis)
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Hominy (15oz / 397g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts combined
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Radishes (opt) - 3 , sliced
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Sour cream - for serving (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Garlic / Onions / Poblanos - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season chicken with garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Season aromatics - Toss garlic, onions and poblanos with coriander, cumin, oregano, paprika and chili powder. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Hatch chilis - Drain.
- Slow cook pozole - Place chicken, aromatics, hatch chilis, stock and salt in a slow cooker. Cook for 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 to 3 ½ hours on high. (If you prefer to use the stovetop, sear chicken in a Dutch oven. Add aromatics, hatch chilis, stock and salt. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, ~25 minutes. Continue with “Make” directions below.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Once pozole is done cooking, shred chicken with a fork and knife directly in slow cooker (or Dutch oven). Add in hominy and heat on high for another 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- While pozole simmers, prep green onions, avocados, radishes (if using) and limes.
- Top soup with green onions, radishes, avocados and sour cream. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!