7-Layer Dip Salad
with chicken / salsa
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts combined
- Tomatoes, roma - 4, diced
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Avocados - 1, diced
- Olives, black and sliced (4 oz / 113g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salsa - 4 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, paprika, honey and mustard. Add olive oil, while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Green onions / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Dice chicken. Tenderize. Season with cumin, chili powder and some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Dice avocados.
- Olives - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Toss lettuce and tomatoes with half the vinaigrette.
- Assemble salads by arranging a bed of lettuce and tomatoes. Add chicken, olives, avocados and then green onions (green and white parts).
- Top salads with a spoonful of salsa and pepitas. Add more vinaigrette at the table if you’d like. Enjoy!
Nice quick meal for an evening when you just aren't feeling like cooking. I put the different toppings in containers so we could choose our favorite toppings, since my husband doesn't care for the same things as me. We used a different dressing.0 Helpful
Easy to put together and enjoy! Tastes amazing with a bold, adjustable flavour palate and numerous textures. Definitely becoming a go-to dinner!0 Helpful
I skipped the chips. That might have helped make this a little more flavorful? There were some bites I liked, but I think the beans needed a little something more.0 Helpful
Very fresh and a nice change for a salad. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
I turned this into a burrito bowl by adding steamed rice and omitting the chips.0 Helpful
I think it would eat a little better with the crunch from iceberg, even though I try to avoid iceberg due to lack of nutrients. The dressing was great in terms of adding brightness, but I think the flavor profile of it could be tweaked to match the profile of the salad a little more cohesively...though I'm not entirely sure how! :)0 Helpful