7-Layer Dip Salad with pinto beans / cheese
This dish is not just for snacking at parties anymore. Combine common ingredients from 7-Layer Dip into this flavorful, crisp salad. Crumble chips over top or use them for scooping up bites of salad.
Smarts: "7" is just a guideline. Feel free to add other vegetables or toppings that you like.
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts combined
- Tomatoes, roma - 4, diced
- Avocados - 1, diced
- Beans, pinto (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Olives, black and sliced (4 oz / 113g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 1 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Tortilla chips - 5 oz
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add pinto beans and saute for 1 minute to heat through. Add cumin and chili powder and saute until spices are fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Toss lettuce and tomatoes with half the vinaigrette.
- Assemble salads by arranging a bed of lettuce and tomatoes. Add beans, cheese, olives, avocados and then green onions (green and white parts).
- Top salads with a spoonful of sour cream. Use chips for scooping up salad toppings or crumble the chips over top. Add more vinaigrette at the table if you’d like. Enjoy!
Nice quick meal for an evening when you just aren't feeling like cooking. I put the different toppings in containers so we could choose our favorite toppings, since my husband doesn't care for the same things as me. We used a different dressing.0 Helpful
Easy to put together and enjoy! Tastes amazing with a bold, adjustable flavour palate and numerous textures. Definitely becoming a go-to dinner!0 Helpful
I skipped the chips. That might have helped make this a little more flavorful? There were some bites I liked, but I think the beans needed a little something more.0 Helpful
Very fresh and a nice change for a salad. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
I turned this into a burrito bowl by adding steamed rice and omitting the chips.0 Helpful
I think it would eat a little better with the crunch from iceberg, even though I try to avoid iceberg due to lack of nutrients. The dressing was great in terms of adding brightness, but I think the flavor profile of it could be tweaked to match the profile of the salad a little more cohesively...though I'm not entirely sure how! :)0 Helpful