Asian Chicken Soup
with zucchini / carrots / coleslaw mix
- Carrots - 8 oz, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Ginger - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Zucchini - 12 oz, chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Carrots / Onions / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and onions in one container. Combine ginger and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Chop zucchini. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown (but not cooked through), ~2 minutes per side.
- Move chicken to the sides of the pan, leaving some space in the center. Add second part of oil to the center of the pan. Add carrots and onions to heated oil. Saute chicken and vegetables, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, until vegetables are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, aminos and fish sauce. Bring to a low simmer and simmer for 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from soup and shred or dice.
- Return chicken to pot with zucchini and coleslaw mix. Simmer until zucchini is tender, ~5 minutes more. Season soup with some salt.
- Divide sliced wonton wrappers between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top. Finish with lime juice and cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
Easy and delicious. It was a perfect soup night (rainy and cold day)0 Helpful
Used orzo pasta because I had leftover from a previous meal. Excellent homemade soup and comes together quick and easy.0 Helpful
Super good. We used Farro in place of the wonton noodles. I used a whole Trader Joe's bag in my 6 servings, and while it was good, I had to add more broth because it sucked up all the liquid. Would add less next time (or do what I did this time and add more broth). Used homemade vegetable broth with added chicken bouillon.0 Helpful
This is the perfect meal to make ahead during the day so something is ready after soccer practice. Used gluten free spaghetti noodles. Don’t forget to put salt and pepper on meat before searing. When I tried once with low sodium stock it was too bland.0 Helpful
Loved this... The flavor was so yummy!0 Helpful
This was fantastic!! I loved using the wonton paper. It was great in the soup! Next time ill make sure to use more wonton paper.0 Helpful