Chicken Miso Soup
with leftover wonton ‘noodles’ / carrots / coleslaw mix
Smarts: To make use of leftover wonton wrappers from Monday's meal, slice them into strips and add them to the soup. They soften quickly, so combine them with the hot soup just before serving. Any pre-cooked noodles will work as a sub.
- Carrots - 8 oz, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Ginger - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Miso, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Wonton wrappers, round or square - 12, thinly sliced (look for these refrigerated near the produce section)
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown (but not cooked through), ~2 minutes per side.
- Move chicken to the sides of the pan, leaving some space in the center. Add second part of oil to the center of the pan. Add carrots and onions to heated oil. Saute chicken and vegetables, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, until vegetables are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add miso and stock. Bring to a low simmer and simmer for 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- While soup simmers, slice wonton wrappers into thin strips (these will be the “noodles” for the soup).
- Remove chicken from soup and shred or dice.
- Return chicken to pot with coleslaw mix. Simmer until tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Divide sliced wonton wrappers between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top. Finish with lime juice and cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
Nice Asian twist on chicken soup.0 Helpful
Very good. I liked being able to cook the chicken pieces whole and then shred them as I hate to cut up chicken. Used orzo also because leftover wonton wrappers always go to waste at my house.0 Helpful
Used orzo instead if the wonton wrappers and a rainbow slaw. The soup was bright, fresh tasting and delicious.0 Helpful
this was a delicious soup. Can't say I tasted much miso flavor and I would use more next time. Overall, very delicious classic soup.0 Helpful
Easy and delicious. It was a perfect soup night (rainy and cold day)0 Helpful
Used orzo pasta because I had leftover from a previous meal. Excellent homemade soup and comes together quick and easy.0 Helpful