Chicken Miso Soup
with leftover wonton ‘noodles’ / carrots / coleslaw mix
Savory miso adds rich creaminess to this comforting chicken soup.
Smarts: To make use of leftover wonton wrappers from Monday's meal, slice them into strips and add them to the soup. They soften quickly, so combine them with the hot soup just before serving. Any pre-cooked noodles will work as a sub.
- Carrots - 8 oz, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Ginger - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Miso, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Wonton wrappers, round or square - 12, thinly sliced (look for these refrigerated near the produce section)
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown (but not cooked through), ~2 minutes per side.
- Move chicken to the sides of the pan, leaving some space in the center. Add second part of oil to the center of the pan. Add carrots and onions to heated oil. Saute chicken and vegetables, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, until vegetables are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add miso and stock. Bring to a low simmer and simmer for 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- While soup simmers, slice wonton wrappers into thin strips (these will be the “noodles” for the soup).
- Remove chicken from soup and shred or dice.
- Return chicken to pot with coleslaw mix. Simmer until tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Divide sliced wonton wrappers between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top. Finish with lime juice and cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
Used orzo pasta because I had leftover from a previous meal. Excellent homemade soup and comes together quick and easy.0 Helpful
Super good. We used Farro in place of the wonton noodles. I used a whole Trader Joe's bag in my 6 servings, and while it was good, I had to add more broth because it sucked up all the liquid. Would add less next time (or do what I did this time and add more broth). Used homemade vegetable broth with added chicken bouillon.0 Helpful
This is the perfect meal to make ahead during the day so something is ready after soccer practice. Used gluten free spaghetti noodles. Don’t forget to put salt and pepper on meat before searing. When I tried once with low sodium stock it was too bland.0 Helpful
Loved this... The flavor was so yummy!0 Helpful
This was fantastic!! I loved using the wonton paper. It was great in the soup! Next time ill make sure to use more wonton paper.0 Helpful
Wonton wrappers weren't called for in the ingredient list but still listed in instructions for the paleo version. Prepwork took much longer than expected but still tasty.0 Helpful