Steak au Poivre
with oven-baked ricotta and chard risotto
Steaks and creamy risotto make a special meal if you're celebrating Valentine's Day today or if you just need a warm, satisfying meal on a chilly evening. For such a guest-worthy meal, the ingredients list and active cook time are quite short.
Steak au Poivre:
- Steak, NY Strip - 1 lb ((sub beef tenderloin steaks or other cut of choice)
- Black pepper - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
Oven-Baked Ricotta and Chard Risotto:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , chopped, stems and leaves separate
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Rice, Arborio - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Cheese, ricotta - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - for serving , grated
- Steak - Remove steak from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking to allow steaks to come to room temperature. Season with black pepper and salt. (Note: As the name implies, these are peppery steaks. If you prefer less pepper, feel free to reduce the amount listed.)
- Garlic / Onions / Chard - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven or any oven-safe pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then onions and chard stems to heated oil. Saute until softened and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in arborio rice and garlic. Saute until rice is lightly toasted and the pan is dry. Add chard leaves and stock and bring to a boil. Cover and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While risotto cooks, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place steak onto hot pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare; another 4 to 7 minutes for medium; 8 to 10 minutes for well-done.
- Let steak rest, covered with foil, for ~10 minutes.
- When risotto is finished, stir in ricotta. Season with some salt.
- Serve risotto with some parmesan cheese grated on top. Enjoy with steak.