Fettuccine Alfredo with Asparagus and Peas
with spinach salad
Fettuccine Alfredo is a meal that many of our members have requested, so we're excited to feature this version. Lighter than what you'll find in most restaurants, we still use a bit of heavy cream to add that authentic creaminess and flavor. Asparagus and peas give the dish some color and crunch.
Fettuccine Alfredo with Asparagus and Peas:
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz , grated
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Asparagus - 3/4 lb , ” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Pasta, fettuccine - 8 oz
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Spinach Salad with Apples and Cashews:
- Apples - 1 , sliced or chopped
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Cashews - 1/4 cup
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, honey and mustard. Add olive oil while whisking. Add apples, spinach and cashews on top. (Wait to toss until just before serving.)
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. In the last 3 minutes of cooking add asparagus. Continue cooking until both pasta and asparagus are al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter. Once butter melts, add shallots and coleslaw mix with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over vegetables and stir to coat, about 30 seconds. While stirring, slowly add stock and then heavy cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer (reduce heat if needed to prevent sauce from reaching a hard boil). Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed.
- When pasta / asparagus are finished cooking, drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together pasta / asparagus, peas and sauce. Season with some salt.
- Serve pasta with fresh cracked black pepper and grated cheese on top. Toss salad and enjoy it on the side.