Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
with asparagus / peas
Fettuccine Alfredo is a meal that many of our members have requested, so we're excited to feature this version. Lighter than what you'll find in most restaurants, we still use a bit of heavy cream to add that authentic creaminess and flavor. Asparagus and peas give the dish some color and crunch.
Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo:
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb (we like using small shrimp in this)
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Asparagus - 3/4 lb , ” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Pasta, fettuccine - 8 oz
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus - Chop asparagus into 1” / 2.5cm pieces. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, defrost and drain. If using canned peas, drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. In the last 3 minutes of cooking add asparagus. Continue cooking until both pasta and asparagus are al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add oil and then shrimp to heated oil. Season shrimp with some salt and pepper as it cooks. Cook shrimp for 2 minutes and then add garlic. Continue cooking until shrimp is opaque / cooked through, ~2 minutes more. Set shrimp aside and return pan to heat.
- Add butter to heated pan. Once butter melts, add shallots and coleslaw mix with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over vegetables and stir to coat, about 30 seconds. While stirring, slowly add stock and then heavy cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer (reduce heat if needed to prevent sauce from reaching a hard boil). Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed.
- When pasta / asparagus are finished cooking, drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together pasta / asparagus, peas and sauce. Zest lemon over top. Season with some salt.
- Serve pasta with shrimp on top. Finish with fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy!