Chicken Yakitori Stir-Fry with broccoli / rice
The sauce for this stir-fry is savory and a bit sweet with a kick of fresh ginger. This is a variation of a recipe featured in February 2016 when our community members called it a great blank slate for just about any vegetables - feel free to swap out your favorites.
- Water - 1 3/4 cups
- Rice, basmati - 1 cup (sub regular white rice)
- Broccoli florets - 10 oz
- Celery - 2 ribs, sliced
- Ginger - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin - 2 Tbsp (find this Japanese rice wine in the international aisle; sub rice vinegar)
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup (sub water)
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Cook rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Celery / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli and celery each in their own containers. Combine ginger and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, soy sauce, water, mirin and brown sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok with first part of oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until golden brown and nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Set chicken aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of oil to heated wok and then broccoli. Saute broccoli for 1 minute to get it started cooking. Add stock to wok and cover with a lid. Steam broccoli for 2 minutes (steam for 2 to 3 minutes more if you'd like it very tender). Remove lid and add celery and coleslaw mix. Continue cooking vegetables until liquid has cooked off and vegetables are all tender.
- Move vegetables to the side of the wok to create a donut shape with a hole in the center. Pour stir-fry sauce in the hole and wait for sauce to start bubbling.
- Add chicken back to wok and toss everything together to combine. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove wok from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Set aside 3/4 cup / 177mL cooked rice (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) for Thursday’s meal. Reheat remaining rice in the microwave (if needed).
- Serve stir-fry over rice. Finish with some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
This meal has 33 reviews
Stir-fry are always a safe card, and this has become one of my fav dishes, love the combo with Broccoli.
I would have given this a higher score, except that I have absolutely loved every other stir-fry on Cook Smarts, so I had high expectations for this one, and it didn't live up to them for me. It just wasn't very exciting somehow
Needs more sauce so make 1.5x sauce
This was really good. I left out the sugar and the sauce was pretty runny but we didn’t mind. Could add some arrow root powder to thicken it but we thought it was good the way it was.
This was pretty good (and really easy with the prep already done), but the paleo version of the sauce could have used more punch (I did leave out the honey, though).
Very tasty. I can never seem to get my tofu dry enough to fry up well, but it still tastes pretty good and worked well with the sauce.