Chicken Yakitori Stir-Fry
with broccoli / rice
The sauce for this stir-fry is savory and a bit sweet with a kick of fresh ginger. This is a variation of a recipe featured in February 2016 when our community members called it a great blank slate for just about any vegetables - feel free to swap out your favorites.
Basmati Rice (for 2 nights):
- Water - 1 3/4 cups
- Rice, basmati - 1 cup (sub regular white rice)
Chicken Yakitori Stir-Fry:
- Broccoli florets - 10 oz
- Celery - 2 ribs , sliced
- Ginger - 2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin - 2 Tbsp (find this Japanese rice wine in the international aisle; sub rice vinegar)
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup (sub water)
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Cook rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Celery / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli and celery each in their own containers. Combine ginger and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, soy sauce, water, mirin and brown sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok with first part of oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until golden brown and nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Set chicken aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of oil to heated wok and then broccoli. Saute broccoli for 1 minute to get it started cooking. Add stock to wok and cover with a lid. Steam broccoli for 2 minutes (steam for 2 to 3 minutes more if you'd like it very tender). Remove lid and add celery and coleslaw mix. Continue cooking vegetables until liquid has cooked off and vegetables are all tender.
- Move vegetables to the side of the wok to create a donut shape with a hole in the center. Pour stir-fry sauce in the hole and wait for sauce to start bubbling.
- Add chicken back to wok and toss everything together to combine. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove wok from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Set aside 3/4 cup / 177mL cooked rice (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) for Thursday’s meal. Reheat remaining rice in the microwave (if needed).
- Serve stir-fry over rice. Finish with some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!