Pork and Cabbage Peanut Stir-Fry
with rice vermicelli
Creamy, peanut-based sauce finishes this quick weeknight stir-fry. We often serve stir-fry over rice, but we're mixing things up and using thin "vermicelli" rice noodles as the base for this dish. (Feel free to use rice if you prefer.)
- Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Stock, any type - 1/3 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Peanut butter, creamy - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Chili-garlic sauce - 1 tsp
- Peanuts - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , sliced at a bias
- Cabbage, napa or savoy - 1 lb , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Pork chops, boneless - 1 lb , cut into strips (sub pork tenderloin)
- Noodles, rice vermicelli - 4 oz (thin rice noodles; sub soba noodles)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Make stir-fry sauce - Whisk together coconut milk, stock, cornstarch, soy sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar and chili garlic sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Peanuts / Carrots / Cabbage - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping green and white parts separate. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Pork - Slice pork into thin strips. Tenderize with a fork and season lightly with some salt. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Cook noodles according to package directions. (Note: Many varieties of rice noodles need just to be soaked in hot water until tender.)
Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then pork to heated oil. Saute until pork is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add carrots and white parts of green onions and saute until carrots are tender, ~5 minutes. Add a splash of water if the pan starts to look dry.
Add cabbage and saute until cabbage is tender but still has a bit of crunch, 1 to 3 minutes more.
Move cabbage to the side of the pan, forming a donut in the middle. Pour stir-fry sauce into the donut and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes until sauce thickens.
Add pork back to pan and toss everything to coat in sauce.
Serve pork and vegetables over noodles. Top with peanuts and green parts of green onions. Add some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!