Cheesy Southwestern Black Bean Tortilla Wraps
and butterhead lettuce salad with citrus
Filled with black beans, sweet corn and bell peppers, these cheesy tortilla wraps come together in a flash. Roasting them in the oven warms the filling and gives the tortillas a slightly crisp texture. This is a variation of a recipe we first featured in 2015.
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Bell peppers, any color - 2 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Corn, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Salsa - 1/2 cup (plus more for serving)
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 4 oz
- Tortillas, burrito-sized - 4
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Lettuce, butterhead - 1 small , leaves torn
- Oranges, mandarins or clementines - 3 , segments or slices
- Sliced almonds - 1/4 cup
Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, mayonnaise and vinegar. Add olive oil, while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Green onions - Chop green onions and combine white and green parts. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
If using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave and drain off liquid. If using canned corn, drain and rinse.
Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then peppers and onions to heated oil. Saute until soft, ~ 3 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, coriander and some salt and pepper. Saute for 1 minute more.
Add beans, corn, green onions and salsa. Stir to combine.
Divide filling and cheese between tortillas by placing ingredients at the bottom of the tortilla. To enclose, fold bottom of the tortilla over filling. Then fold the sides and roll up as tightly as possible. (Note: If the tortillas are not pliable, microwave them for 20 to 30 seconds to soften.)
Place tortillas, seam-side down on a sheet pan and bake for 8 minutes.
While tortillas are baking, tear lettuce and slice oranges. Toss with half the vinaigrette and continue adding vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Top salad with sliced almonds.
Serve tortilla wraps with some extra salsa. Enjoy salad on the side.