Broccoli and Sweet Potato Frittata
with garlic bread
Broccoli and sweet potatoes give this frittata a great balance of flavor and color.
Smarts: Pre-cooking vegetables in the microwave before adding them to the frittata ensures they are tender and significantly shortens the time it takes to cook this meal.
- Broccoli - 8 oz, florets chopped
- Sweet potatoes - 12 oz, cubed
- Eggs - 6
- Milk - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green onions - 1 stalk, finely chopped, green and white parts combined
- Baguette or ciabatta - 8 oz
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Place sweet potatoes into a microwave-safe pan or bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~ 3 minutes. (Note: If you prefer to boil / blanch the sweet potatoes and broccoli, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the sweet potatoes for 12 minutes. Add broccoli and continue boiling until sweet potatoes are tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to a bowl filled with water and ice.)
- When sweet potatoes are tender, pre-cook broccoli in the same way. Place broccoli into a microwave-safe pan or bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~ 2 minutes.
- Heat 9” to 10” (22.5 to 25cm) skillet over medium heat (skillet size is based on 4 servings - you may need a smaller or larger skillet if you're customizing). Add oil and then pre-cooked broccoli and sweet potatoes to heated oil with a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- While frittata is cooking, slice open baguette and place, cut-side up on a sheet pan.
- Melt butter in the microwave until soft. Stir in garlic and white and green parts of green onions. If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt. Spread butter evenly over the top of the bread. Grate cheese on top. Transfer to oven and bake bread until golden brown and crisp, ~10 minutes.
- Slice frittata and serve with some yogurt and / or hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy garlic bread on the side.
I normally do this as slow cooker. This time I was home and roasted it in the oven. For a 2lb chicken it took about 65 min to roast it. I made a cipolline onion casserole and roasted brussel sprouts with it because that is what I had at home.0 Helpful
This came out extremely tender. Very good flavor. Will make this again.0 Helpful
Did not love this chicken. It is one of the CS meals that I consider a flop and would not make again.0 Helpful
I don't have a slow cooker, so I roasted it in the oven following Jacques Pepin's method (perfection every time).0 Helpful
Roasted instead of slow cooked - veggies got unevenly cooked, but still quite good. Loved the garlic bread0 Helpful
The chicken wouldn’t fit in my slow cooker so I had to roast it in the oven. It was good.0 Helpful