Curried Red Lentil Soup
with curry roasted cauliflower
With a mix of warm spices and creamy coconut milk, this lentil soup is simple but packed with flavor.
Smarts: This soup is great both as a smooth puree or with the lentils left whole. Feel free to customize the texture to your liking.
- Onions, medium red - 1 , diced
- Carrots - 4 oz , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped white and green parts separate
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can (we liked fire roasted tomatoes in this, but regular will work)
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Lentils, red and uncooked - 1 1/4 cups (sub yellow lentils)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Cauliflower, medium - 1 head , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Curry powder, yellow and mild - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
Cauliflower / Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store cauliflower in one container. Combine onions and carrots in another container. Store garlic in a third container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Green onions - Chop green onions. Store green and white parts separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
While oven is heating, heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add onions and carrots with a pinch of salt. Saute until soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add white parts of green onions, garlic, curry powder (portion for the soup), cumin and red pepper flakes. Saute for 1 minute more.
To soup add crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, stock and lentils. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
While soup simmers, toss cauliflower with oil, curry powder (portion for the cauliflower) and salt. Spread out on a sheet pan and transfer to oven. Roast cauliflower, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until cauliflower is tender and golden brown in spots, ~30 minutes total.
When soup is finished, stir in lemon juice. (Optional: If you would like a smooth soup, puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.)
Season soup to taste with some salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with green parts of green onions. Serve with yogurt, for topping if you'd like. Enjoy cauliflower on the side.