Deconstructed Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan
with simple sauteed broccolini
I love chicken and eggplant parmesan, and this is my quicker weeknight take on it. It's just as delicious and hits the spot for a hearty autumn dish. Vegetarians are going to enjoy beans and peppers in place of the meat.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Broccolini - 1 to 2 bunches (sub 2 broccoli crowns)
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Chicken thighs - 1 1/4 lb (sub chicken breasts if you prefer)
- Leftover tomato sauce - ~2 cups (from yesterday's dinner)
- Chinese or Japanese eggplant - 1 lb, chopped (these varieties have less seeds; if you can't find it, Italian is fine)
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Mozzarella - 6 oz
- Parmesan - 1/4 cup
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Chicken - Season with salt and pepper, and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Sauce - If you didn't make this for Monday's pizza, mix together 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp. (1.23 ml)red pepper flakes, 1 tsp. (5 ml) of your sweetener of choice, and 1 28 oz. (794 g) can of crushed tomatoes with a dash of salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Eggplant - Chop. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Garlic - Mince.
- Preheat oven to 375F (191C) degrees.
- Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of cooking oil, and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and then add one more tablespoon of cooking oil. Add eggplant to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in rest of sauce from yesterday. Return chicken back into pan, nestling into eggplant. Cover with mozzarella and bake for 12 minutes.
- While skillet is cooking, place broccolini in a microwave safe container. Add water and sprinkle with some salt. Cover with a lid or wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes depending on thickness. (This extra step makes the broccolini saute much faster.)
- Then heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you smell the garlic, add broccolini with a dash of salt. Saute for ~1 minute, until tender but still crunchy. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve hot with skillet chicken and eggplant.
- Mix parmesan and panko bread crumbs together. Sprinkle on top of skillet and broil for 2 more minutes. Serve hot with broccolini on the side.
Used zucchini instead of egg plant. The chicken was a bit chewy - may have just over-seared it.0 Helpful
Loved the paleo version! But I still love cheese so I added the mozzarella and parmesan back in0 Helpful
Cheated a little, did the paleo version with Parmesan0 Helpful
My husband doesn't really care for eggplant, but he gobbled it right up in this dish. Love when a meal tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen, but you didn't.0 Helpful
Loved the deconstructed dish. Next time, I will slice the chicken into small pieces. We like to get a little eggplant and a little chicken in each bite. I agree with previous posters, it took me an extra five minutes in the oven (we used thighs).0 Helpful
Made with Japanese eggplant like suggested & it was better without the larger seeds found in the other type. Very tasty & I appreciate the one skillet method!0 Helpful