Honey Garlic Chicken
with farro / kale and cabbage salad with roasted beets
Honey Garlic Chicken with Farro:
- Farro, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Parsley, fresh - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Kale and Cabbage Salad with Roasted Beets:
- Beets, medium - 3
- Kale, large curly leaf - 6 leaves , stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- Cabbage, small and red - 1/2 head , thinly sliced or shredded
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Beets - Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Scrub and then trim off ends, place into a baking dish, and fill with about 1/2” of water. Cover with foil and roast for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on size of beets. Once they’re cool enough to handle, peel off skin with the side of a spoon and chop into bite-sized pieces. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Farro - (Skip if farro was made ahead for Wednesday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil (just like you would for boiling pasta). Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kale / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cabbage / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken in half. Season and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Combine garlic, parsley, butter, lemon juice, honey and soy sauce. Heat in microwave until butter is melted.
- Heat a oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on one side until golden brown (don’t don’t cook it all the way through), ~2 minutes. Flip chicken and pour garlic-butter mixture over top. Cover pan with a lid or with foil. Transfer chicken to the oven and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, whisk together vinegar, mustard and olive oil. Add cabbage and kale and toss to combine. You can gently “massage” the dressing into the kale and cabbage for a more tender salad.
- Toss cabbage and kale with beets and almonds.
- Reheat farro if made ahead.
- Serve chicken over farro with pan sauce spooned over top. Enjoy salad on the side.