Honey Garlic Chicken
with farro / kale and cabbage salad with roasted beets
- Farro, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Parsley, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beets, medium - 3
- Kale, large curly leaf - 6 leaves, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- Cabbage, small and red - 1/2 head, thinly sliced or shredded
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Beets - Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Scrub and then trim off ends, place into a baking dish, and fill with about 1/2” of water. Cover with foil and roast for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on size of beets. Once they’re cool enough to handle, peel off skin with the side of a spoon and chop into bite-sized pieces. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Farro - (Skip if farro was made ahead for Wednesday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil (just like you would for boiling pasta). Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kale / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cabbage / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken in half. Season and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Combine garlic, parsley, butter, lemon juice, honey and soy sauce. Heat in microwave until butter is melted.
- Heat a oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on one side until golden brown (don’t don’t cook it all the way through), ~2 minutes. Flip chicken and pour garlic-butter mixture over top. Cover pan with a lid or with foil. Transfer chicken to the oven and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, whisk together vinegar, mustard and olive oil. Add cabbage and kale and toss to combine. You can gently “massage” the dressing into the kale and cabbage for a more tender salad.
- Toss cabbage and kale with beets and almonds.
- Reheat farro if made ahead.
- Serve chicken over farro with pan sauce spooned over top. Enjoy salad on the side.
Vegetarian version very good. Thought the salad would be better with goat cheese. We will make this again0 Helpful
Very simple and quick. I made just the chicken and served it with brown rice and asparagus. The lemon-butter sauce was delicious on the rice, too! The chicken was cooked to perfection, but I actually put it in the oven long before it reached 400 degrees, so I don't know if that had anything to do with how tender it was.0 Helpful
served with quinoa (had leftovers from another day)0 Helpful
Delicious sauce! Didn't make the salad, just ate with beets and asparagus on the side0 Helpful
Very good! I reduced the honey by almost 1 Tb because I used coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. Chicken was a little rubbery but tasted great, so I sliced it in strips and served the meal as a bowl (thank you, previous reviewer!) with the salad served hot (sauteed kale, warmed beets, dressing over the whole thing) and a little goat cheese. Very good!0 Helpful
Definitely a good idea to roast the beets in the oven with Monday's meal so they were already ready tonight0 Helpful