Roasted Tofu and Vegetable Quinoa Bowls
with peanut sauce
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Peanut butter, creamy - 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 4 Tbsp , plus more until smooth and pourable
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz , drained and sliced into 1” / 2.5cm cubes (vacuum packed preferable)
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs , 1” / 2.5cm cubes
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , halved
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Curry powder, mild - 1 tsp
Quinoa - Double if making Thursday’s meal. If prepping right before cooking, get vegetables roasting before making quinoa. Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make peanut sauce - (Skip if sauce was made ahead for Tuesday.) Grate ginger. Combine ginger, peanut butter, brown sugar, water, vinegar and Tamari in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat, stirring every 20 seconds, until sauce sugar is dissolved and sauce is creamy and smooth. Stir in some hot sauce if you’d like. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Sweet potatoes / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Mushrooms / Limes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
Combine sweet potatoes, tofu, garlic and mushrooms. Toss with oil, honey and curry powder. Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan (use two sheet pans if needed to prevent vegetables from being crowded).
Roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until sweet potatoes are tender, for 25 to 30 minutes.
Warm up quinoa and peanut sauce if made ahead. (You may need to add a splash of water to the peanut sauce to make it smooth and pourable.)
Serve tofu and vegetables over quinoa. Drizzle with peanut sauce. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over top. Enjoy!