Roasted Tofu and Vegetable Farro Bowls
with peanut sauce
Smarts: Feel free to customize these and add leftover proteins or vegetables!
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 tsp, grated
- Peanut butter, creamy - 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 4 Tbsp, plus more until smooth and pourable
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, drained and sliced into 1” / 2.5cm cubes (vacuum packed preferable)
- Farro, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, 1” / 2.5cm cubes
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, halved
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Curry powder, mild - 1 tsp
- Tofu - Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.25cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Farro - Double if making Thursday’s meal. If prepping right before cooking, get vegetables roasting before making farro. Bring a saucepan of water to boil (just like you would for boiling pasta). Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make peanut sauce - (Skip if sauce was made ahead for Tuesday.) Grate ginger. Combine ginger, peanut butter, brown sugar, water, vinegar and soy sauce in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat, stirring every 20 seconds, until sauce sugar is dissolved and sauce is creamy and smooth. Stir in some hot sauce if you’d like. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Limes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Combine sweet potatoes, tofu, garlic and mushrooms. Toss with oil, honey and curry powder. Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan (use two sheet pans if needed to prevent vegetables from being crowded).
- Roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until sweet potatoes are tender, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Warm up farro and peanut sauce in the microwave if made ahead. (You may need to add a splash of water to the peanut sauce to make it smooth and pourable.)
- Serve tofu and vegetables over farro. Drizzle with peanut sauce. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over top. Enjoy!
Did the marinade and cashew sauce with a pork loin; roasted squash on the side instead of the soup. The sauce was amazing! (Made it in the blender with cashews since we didn't have cashew butter; will reduce water amount next time.) All around delicious.0 Helpful
Love this! So easy and yummy0 Helpful
I only barely followed the recipe here, but it ended up being a really good template that will be great for work lunches in the future! I did make the peanut sauce and farro, but I used stir fry beef since I don't love tofu. I forgot to buy sweet potatoes so I used a big bag of frozen stir fry vegetables in place of sweet potatoes and mushrooms. Really flavorful and traveled/reheated well!0 Helpful
We used broccoli instead of sweet potatoes. Seemed like it would be too much starch with both sweet potatoes and Farro.0 Helpful
Just perfect balance of peanut and vinegar0 Helpful
Loved the peanut sauce!0 Helpful