Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
with pork / shiitake mushrooms / cauliflower fried rice
This Chinese take-out favorite has a tangy kick and slightly thick texture that tastes restorative and is great in cold weather.
Smarts: The unique wisps in hot and sour soup are made when whisked eggs are stirred in at the end of cooking. You want them to cook for just a minute - long enough to be fully cooked but still soft.
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 4 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Pork, boneless loin - 1 lb , cut into 1/4” / .6 cm strips
- Bamboo shoots, canned - 3 oz , sliced into thin strips
- Eggs - 2 , whisked
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , leaves torn
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Ground white pepper (opt) - 1/4 tsp (sub black peper)
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Frozen vegetables, any mix - 1 cup (look for stir-fry mixes or frozen peas and carrots)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked cauliflower rice (leftover from Monday) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Mushrooms - Slice, if not pre-sliced. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Pork - Slice against the grain into 1/4” / .6 cm strips. Tenderize with a fork. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Bamboo shoots - Drain and rinse. Most come pre-sliced, but slice them down further into small strips. (They will be easier to eat in the soup that way.)
Frozen vegetables - Defrost in the microwave and drain off any water.
Eggs - Whisk eggs.
Cilantro - Chop cilantro leaves.
Reduce heat to medium and add toasted sesame oil. To heated oil add mushrooms and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour stock over mushrooms and bring to a simmer. Add aminos (portion for soup), vinegar (portion for soup), white pepper, red pepper flakes and bamboo shoots to soup. Add pork back into pan. Simmer for 5 minutes to let flavors develop.
While soup simmers, heat a wok with cooking oil (portion for cauliflower rice) over medium-high heat. Add frozen vegetables and saute until liquid is cooked off and vegetables are starting to brown and sizzle in the bottom of the pan. Stir in cauliflower rice, aminos (portion for cauliflower rice) and rice vinegar (portion for cauliflower rice) and cook for 1 minute more. Taste and season with a pinch of salt or some more vinegar. Set aside.
Return to soup. While stirring soup in one direction, slowly pour in whisked eggs. Stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
Divide soup between serving bowls. Top with cilantro leaves. Enjoy cauliflower fried rice (with some hot sauce if you’d like) on the side.