‘Almost’ Texas Chili
with lemon garlic broccoli
Texas chili differentiates itself with a unique mix of spices (including a tiny bit of cinnamon for depth) and is made entirely with beef.
Smarts: We call this 'Almost' Texas Chili because the base is usually made with dried peppers (no tomatoes), but we've taken some liberties to make our version workable for all spice preferences. Feel free to kick up the spice with some hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
- Jalapenos - 1, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Chili powder - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Beef stew meat, cubed - 2 lbs (sub beef sirloin or chuck)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, low-sodium beef - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Broccoli florets - 10 oz
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, low-sodium beef - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Jalapenos / Onions / Bell peppers / Broccoli / Garlic (for both the chili and broccoli) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chili spice mix - Combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, black pepper and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Beef - If beef is not pre-sliced into cubes, slice into 1” / 2.5cm cubes. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Place a Dutch oven with oil (portion for chili) over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute until golden brown on the outside (don’t worry if it isn’t cooked all the way through), ~5 minutes. Set aside and return pan with pan drippings to heat.
- To pan drippings, add jalapenos, onions, bell peppers and garlic (portion for chili) and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add stock (portion for chili) and tomatoes to pan and bring to a simmer. Add beef back to pan. Place lid on the chili and simmer until beef is tender, ~45 minutes.
- While chili is nearly finished, heat a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add oil (portion for broccoli) and then broccoli, garlic (portion for broccoli) and some salt. Saute until garlic is fragrant, ~1 minute. Pour stock (portion for broccoli) over top and cover with a lid or foil. Steam broccoli until tender, ~5 minutes. Squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Just before serving, chop green onions.
- Stir vinegar into chili. Season with some salt and pepper (and some hot sauce if you’d like). Set half aside for Thursday’s meal.
- Serve chili with green onions on top. Enjoy with broccoli.
This was kind of meh. It ended up very, very soupy. I debated adding some beans and wish I would have. The cinnamon also added a weird flavor as well. Probably won't try this one again0 Helpful
Cornbread was good but bland. Should either go sweeter or more spicy. The stew meat will NOT soften in this cook time, unless you're using an instant pot. It took an hour and a half of simmering to reduce the liquid to a normal amount, and make this meat edible. The stew meat was $14 for two pounds... Ground beef would have been cheaper, better textured, and soaked up the flavor better. In the end, it tasted good after bring cooked properly. But I really hope this recipe gets rewritten to reflect the correct cook time, OR with ground meat instead of stew meat.0 Helpful
I was hesitant on this one, but it turned out amazing! A bit meaty, making a hefty chili to eat, but filling and perfect on a chili winter night.0 Helpful
Good flavor, but for me chunks of beef in sauce is just not chili.0 Helpful
I enjoyed this but it needed way more heat for my palate. Also added worcestershire for a little depth. Made it in the Instant Pot and shredded the beef.0 Helpful
We added chili beans (I know it's not Texas, but we're in a part of the country that needs beans). Also took out the cinnamon and put in a beef seasoning that had some nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar.0 Helpful