Sheet Pan Baked Chicken Thighs
with rice / lemon paprika butter
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 1/2 cups
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, diced
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. If prepping right before cooking, get vegetables roasting before continuing. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes and bell peppers in one container. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season with salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make lemon paprika butter - Combine garlic, lemon juice, honey, paprika, thyme, mustard and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for ~1 minute, until butter is melted.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Toss potatoes and bell peppers with first part of oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, shaking pan halfway through roasting.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add second part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to your sheet pan of vegetables. (Cooking chicken over the vegetables will give them extra flavor.)
- Pour butter mixture over chicken and vegetables and then continue roasting in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes more, until chicken reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (remember to reserve half for Wednesday).
- Serve chicken and vegetables with rice. Spoon pan juices over top. Enjoy!
Delicious, hearty and filling, simple and easy. I will definitely be making this again.0 Helpful
This was a nice, easy, weekday meal. Nothing fancy and the kids ate it happily!0 Helpful
This meal was wonderful and very easy to make. The sweet potatoes and peppers went very well together. The paprika butter tasted wonderful on the chicken and vegetables. The rice was perfect for sipping up the extra sauce,0 Helpful
Really good, although we tweaked it a little. We used little red potatoes instead of sweet potatoes and added some chopped carrots. Next time I would make more of the lemon paprika butter since we all wanted more of it.0 Helpful
Would make again0 Helpful
Would probably use breast tenders next time, but we enjoyed it.0 Helpful