Vegetarian Caesar Salad
with avocados / hard boiled eggs / chickpeas / croutons
- Eggs - 4, hard boiled
- Baguette - 6 oz, cubed (sub any bread)
- Radishes - 10, quartered
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 oz, chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, chopped
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 4 oz (sub finely chopped kale)
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water and some salt. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes and then run in cold water for easier peeling. Roll egg against a hard, flat surface to break up shell, and then peel. If making ahead of time, peel right before serving. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Baguette - If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep. Slice or tear baguette into 2” / 5cm cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Caesar dressing - Chop garlic. Combine garlic with mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce and olive oil. If you prefer a smooth dressing, you can blend it with an immersion blender. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Lettuce / Cucumbers / Avocados.- Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees. Place one oven rack in the lower third of the oven and another oven rack about 6” / 15cm from the broiler.
- Set out two sheet pans and brush them with some oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- On the first sheet pan, spread out baguette cubes and toss with first part of cooking oil. Season with some salt.
- Place on the lower oven rack and toast until bread is golden and crisp, shaking pan halfway through cooking, 8 to 10 minutes.
- On the second sheet pan, spread out beans and radishes. Toss with second part of cooking oil and season with some salt.
- When croutons are finished, remove from oven and turn on the oven’s broiler (use a low setting if available).
- Place beans / radishes under broiler and broil until golden brown, shaking the pan a few times during cooking. (Watch closely to prevent burning.)
- While beans / radishes broil, peel and chop eggs.
- Assemble salads by tossing radishes, beans, cucumbers, avocados, lettuce, spinach and croutons with half the dressing. Add more dressing until salads are dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
We ate the baguette on the side rather than making croutons out of it. Saved some time. The salad was really good! Love the roasted radishes.0 Helpful
Radishes were better than expected! These recipes seem to take longer than estimated for me to execute and I seem to dirty a lot more dishes. Those are the only 2 drawbacks so far. Hope to improve on those though!0 Helpful
Dressing was delicious! I've made it at least three times since this meal. Not a fan of the roasted radishes. Roasted and seasoned some chickpeas for croutons because I forgot to get bread.0 Helpful
I don't know if making your own croutons is worth it, I could have just as easily not had them in the salad. Other wise pretty good.0 Helpful
We used pre-made caesar dressing - because I just don't have that kind of patience - but it still was delicious! Those roasted radishes really elevated the whole thing. LOVED them.0 Helpful
Who knew roasted radishes were so good! Loved this. Omitted the anchovies and used store bought croutons, but would try homemade next time.0 Helpful