Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad
with avocados / roasted radishes / croutons
- Baguette, gluten-free - 6 oz, cubed (sub any gluten-free bread)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Jerk seasoning - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub Cajun seasoning)
- Radishes - 10, quartered
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 oz, chopped
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 4 oz (sub finely chopped kale)
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Anchovy filets (opt) - 2, mashed, more to taste
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce, gluten-free - 1 tsp (sub Tamari)
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Baguette - If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep. Slice or tear baguette into 2” / 5cm cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Caesar dressing - Chop garlic. Mash garlic and anchovy filets together with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and olive oil. If you prefer a smooth dressing, you can blend it with an immersion blender. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken in half. Tenderize with a fork and rub with Jerk seasoning. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Lettuce / Avocados.- Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees. Place one oven rack in the lower third of the oven and another oven rack about 6” / 15cm from the broiler.
- Set out two sheet pans and brush them with some oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- On the first sheet pan, spread out baguette cubes and toss with first part of cooking oil. Season with some salt.
- Place on the lower oven rack and toast until bread is golden and crisp, shaking pan halfway through cooking, 8 to 10 minutes.
- On the second sheet pan, spread out radishes. Toss with second part of cooking oil and season with some salt. Add chicken to pan (move radishes aside so chicken does not cover them).
- When croutons are finished, remove from oven and turn on the oven’s broiler (use a low setting if available).
- Place chicken / radishes under broiler and broil chicken until cooked through, turning chicken and stirring radishes halfway through cooking, ~10 minutes total. (Watch chicken closely and if it starts to burn, turn off the broiler and continue cooking at 400F / 204C until chicken is cooked through.)
- Slice chicken.
- Assemble salads by tossing radishes, avocados, lettuce, spinach and croutons with half the dressing. Top salads with sliced chicken and add more dressing if you’d like. Enjoy!
We ate the baguette on the side rather than making croutons out of it. Saved some time. The salad was really good! Love the roasted radishes.0 Helpful
Radishes were better than expected! These recipes seem to take longer than estimated for me to execute and I seem to dirty a lot more dishes. Those are the only 2 drawbacks so far. Hope to improve on those though!0 Helpful
Dressing was delicious! I've made it at least three times since this meal. Not a fan of the roasted radishes. Roasted and seasoned some chickpeas for croutons because I forgot to get bread.0 Helpful
I don't know if making your own croutons is worth it, I could have just as easily not had them in the salad. Other wise pretty good.0 Helpful
We used pre-made caesar dressing - because I just don't have that kind of patience - but it still was delicious! Those roasted radishes really elevated the whole thing. LOVED them.0 Helpful
Who knew roasted radishes were so good! Loved this. Omitted the anchovies and used store bought croutons, but would try homemade next time.0 Helpful