Crunchy Lentil Tacos with Fetawith roasted cauliflower
Spiced lentils stand in for beef as a vegetarian filling in these crunchy tacos. Topped with salsa, feta cheese, lettuce and yogurt, we don't think you'll miss the meat in this twist on a classic.
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (canned or vacuum-packed)
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 oz, shredded
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz, crumbled
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Taco shells, crunchy - 8
- Salsa (opt) - for serving
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz
- Foil - for cooking
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cauliflower - Chop into florets. If prepping right before cooking, get cauliflower in the oven before continuing with prep. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season lentils - Combine lentils with chili powder and cumin (portion for the lentils). (Note: if you purchased uncooked lentils, use this recipe for instructions on how to cook them first.) (Can be done 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Arrange cauliflower on a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. Steam cauliflower in the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video for tips.)
- Remove foil from cauliflower. Drizzle with olive oil, smoked paprika, cumin (portion for the cauliflower) and some salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Turn the oven’s heat down to 400F / 204C.
- Continue roasting until the edges are brown and crisp, ~25 minutes more.
- While cauliflower is roasting, prep toppings. Chop lettuce and crumble feta.
- Place a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then seasoned lentils. Saute until warmed through, ~4 minutes. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Place taco shells on a second sheet pan (or you can place them directly on the oven rack) and toast just until warm and crisp, ~2 minutes (watch closely to prevent burning).
- Squeeze lemon juice over cauliflower.
- Fill taco shells with lentils, lettuce, feta, salsa and yogurt. Enjoy with cauliflower on the side.
This meal has 43 reviews
Probably would go back to cheddar cheese instead of feta, but it was good!
Really good, and so easy to put together when the lentils are precooked!
Turned out way better than expected. Husband accidently cooked 3x the amount of lentils needed so we froze about 1/2 and added some to chili we made later own that week.
pretty boring, but i also made a lot of mistakes cooking...
Subunit 1 really liked the lentils.
Couldn't even tell that they were meatless! Very good.