Green Pepper and Mushroom Pizza
with Italian house salad
Since my Pizza Hut addict days, this combo has always been one of my favorites. Feel free to sub for your favorite - just be sure to follow my 3 tips for awesome homemade pizza! Gluten-free folks - we're going to use a GF pizza mix. Paleo eaters will be making a delicious skillet egg bake.
Italian House Salad:
- Cucumber, medium - 1 , cubed
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , chopped
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Salad greens - 4 oz
Green Pepper and Mushroom pizza:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , crushed
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Sweetener of choice - 1 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Green peppers - 1 , diced
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/4 lb , sliced
- Olive oil - for brushing pizza dough
- Mozzarella - 6 oz , grated
- Parmesan cheese (opt) - 3 Tbsp , grated
- Pizza dough - Cover in flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out. This is tip #1 to good pizza - resting dough gives gluten time to chill out, which makes the dough much more pliable.
- Sauce - Mix together crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, sweetener, and crushed tomatoes with a dash of salt and black pepper (some of this will be for tomorrow night's meal). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green peppers / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumber / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Position top rack so it's at the very top. This is tip #2 - heat rises, so for the most golden crust use the top rack.
- Spray sheet pan with cooking oil. Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover a sheet pan - it should be pretty easy to do if you let the dough rest. Brush the border with a bit of olive oil and then bake on top rack for 3 minutes without toppings. This is tip #3 - this solo time in the oven allows dough to crisp up; if you put toppings on it now, your crust may get soggy.
- Brush on 1/2 cup (118 ml) to 3/4 cup (177 ml) of sauce and then sprinkle on mozzarella and then toppings. You can pile the toppings on, they will shrink while cooking. Now bake for another 10 minutes on the top rack. Add parmesan and broil pizza for 1 to 2 more minutes before taking out of the oven. You should have melted cheese and a beautiful golden crust!
- While pizza is baking, whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper. For more vinaigrette ideas, check out this video.
- When pizza is ready, toss vinaigrette with greens, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Enjoy hot pizza with your healthy side salad!