Broiled Vegetable Pita with Hummus
and green salad with citrus and pomegranate
Broiled Vegetable Pitas with Hummus:
- Pine nuts - 1 Tbsp (sub sunflower seeds)
- Allspice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Zucchini - 12 oz , cubed
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , halved
- Mint, fresh - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Pita bread - 4 (sub any flatbread)
- Hummus - 8 oz
Green Salad with Citrus and Pomegranate:
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Oranges - 2 , segments
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/3 cup (look for these already removed from their shell in the refrigerated produce section)
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Pine nuts - Skip if pine nuts were already toasted on Monday. Toast pine nuts in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine allspice, paprika and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey and lemon juice. Add olive oil (portion for the vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Mushrooms - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mint / Oranges / Pomegranate (if not already seeded) - Prep as directed.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler. Place an oven rack about 6” / 15cm from the heat source.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil.
- Toss bell peppers, garlic, zucchini and mushrooms in olive oil and spice mix. Place sheet pan under broiler and cook, shaking pan every few minutes, until vegetables are lightly charred and tender. (Watch the vegetables closely - the high heat of the broiler will cook the vegetable fast and give them the same flavor they might get from grilling. If they start to burn, turn the oven to 400F / 204C and continue roasting the vegetables until tender.)
- When vegetables are nearly finished, toast pita rounds. (You can place them directly on the oven rack for 1 to 2 minutes.)
- Top each pita round with hummus and then vegetables. Add with mint and toasted pine nuts.
- Toss greens, oranges and pomegranate seeds with half the vinaigrette. Add additional vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve pitas with salad on the side. Enjoy!