Broiled Vegetable Pita with Hummus
and green salad with citrus and pomegranate
- Pine nuts - 1 Tbsp (sub sunflower seeds)
- Allspice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, halved
- Mint, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Pita bread - 4 (sub any flatbread)
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Oranges - 2, segments
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/3 cup (look for these already removed from their shell in the refrigerated produce section)
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Pine nuts - Skip if pine nuts were already toasted on Monday. Toast pine nuts in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine allspice, paprika and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey and lemon juice. Add olive oil (portion for the vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Mushrooms - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mint / Oranges / Pomegranate (if not already seeded) - Prep as directed.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler. Place an oven rack about 6” / 15cm from the heat source.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil.
- Toss bell peppers, garlic, zucchini and mushrooms in olive oil and spice mix. Place sheet pan under broiler and cook, shaking pan every few minutes, until vegetables are lightly charred and tender. (Watch the vegetables closely - the high heat of the broiler will cook the vegetable fast and give them the same flavor they might get from grilling. If they start to burn, turn the oven to 400F / 204C and continue roasting the vegetables until tender.)
- When vegetables are nearly finished, toast pita rounds. (You can place them directly on the oven rack for 1 to 2 minutes.)
- Top each pita round with hummus and then vegetables. Add with mint and toasted pine nuts.
- Toss greens, oranges and pomegranate seeds with half the vinaigrette. Add additional vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve pitas with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Sprinkle some powdered sumac on this & consider using good quality lamb mince and it’ll impress your Turkish friends & family VERY MUCH.0 Helpful
Delicious and so easy. Didn’t have pine nuts but didn’t miss them0 Helpful
So easy and came together so beautifully. We have always wanted to make our own hummus so we tried it for this recipe and it turned out amazing. We also toasted the pita a little bit. We'll definitely keep this one in a rotation!0 Helpful
I accidentally used 5spice instead of allspice. Still turned out. Also used tatsziki instead of humus due to personal preferences.0 Helpful
family favorite. loved the flavors and it was super easy. definitely making this again.0 Helpful
Kids loved this. Didn't have allspice, so didn't use. Served with veggies to dip in hummus instead of salad.0 Helpful