Turkish Lamb over Sweet Potatoes and green salad with citrus and pomegranate
Ground lamb sauteed with spices makes a hearty filling for sweet potatoes in this comforting meal. Serve the potatoes with a colorful winter salad on the side.
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 4
- Pine nuts - 1 Tbsp (sub sunflower seeds)
- Allspice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lamb, ground - 1 lb (sub ground turkey or beef)
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Oranges - 2, segments
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/3 cup (look for these already removed from their shell in the refrigerated produce section)
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Cook sweet potatoes - Cook sweet potatoes in the microwave or oven. For microwave: prick sweet potatoes with a knife. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. This will vary based on the size of potatoes; continue cooking until potatoes are soft enough to pierce into with a fork. For oven: Wrap the potatoes in foil and pierce several times with a knife. Roast in a 425F / 218C oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pine nuts - Skip if pine nuts were already toasted on Monday. Toast pine nuts in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine allspice, paprika and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey and lemon juice. Add olive oil (portion for the vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mint / Oranges / Pomegranate (if not already seeded) - Prep as directed.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil (portion for the lamb). When oil begins to shimmer, add garlic and spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add lamb and saute until cooked through and no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Strain any excess liquid / grease out of pan.
- Slice potatoes in half and open. If made ahead, cover with a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave.
- Toss greens, oranges and pomegranate seeds with half the vinaigrette. Add additional vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Fill potatoes with butter and then lamb, mint and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve sweet potatoes with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 53 reviews
So easy and came together so beautifully. We have always wanted to make our own hummus so we tried it for this recipe and it turned out amazing. We also toasted the pita a little bit. We'll definitely keep this one in a rotation!
I accidentally used 5spice instead of allspice. Still turned out. Also used tatsziki instead of humus due to personal preferences.
family favorite. loved the flavors and it was super easy. definitely making this again.
Kids loved this. Didn't have allspice, so didn't use. Served with veggies to dip in hummus instead of salad.
I felt like more veg could have been added to the pita - not sure what though. Still pretty good!
This was okay. I liked the earlier version better. I actually went back and added more spices to the turkey. The salad was good. I used blood oranges and extra pomegranate. My husband added some of the pomegranate to his pita. It was really pretty!