Turkish Pita with Hummusand green salad with citrus and pomegranate
We've made some changes to this recipe which was first featured in 2015. This time around, we're topping the pitas with ground turkey sauteed with spices and serving it alongside a colorful winter salad.
Smarts: The original recipe used lamb to top these pitas, so feel free to use it in place of ground turkey.
- Pine nuts - 1 Tbsp (sub sunflower seeds)
- Allspice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb (sub ground lamb or beef)
- Pita bread - 4 (sub any flatbread)
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Oranges - 2, segments
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/3 cup (look for these already removed from their shell in the refrigerated produce section)
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Pine nuts - Skip if pine nuts were already toasted on Monday. Toast pine nuts in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine allspice, paprika and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey and lemon juice. Add olive oil (portion for the vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mint / Oranges / Pomegranate (if not already seeded) - Prep as directed.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil (portion for the turkey). When oil begins to shimmer, add garlic and spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add turkey and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Strain any excess liquid / grease out of pan.
- Cover pita rounds with a damp paper towel (to prevent drying out) and microwave just until warm, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Top each pita round with hummus and then turkey and sprinkle with mint and toasted pine nuts.
- Toss greens, oranges and pomegranate seeds with half the vinaigrette. Add additional vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve pita with salad on the side. Enjoy!
So easy and came together so beautifully. We have always wanted to make our own hummus so we tried it for this recipe and it turned out amazing. We also toasted the pita a little bit. We'll definitely keep this one in a rotation!0 Helpful
I accidentally used 5spice instead of allspice. Still turned out. Also used tatsziki instead of humus due to personal preferences.0 Helpful
family favorite. loved the flavors and it was super easy. definitely making this again.0 Helpful
Kids loved this. Didn't have allspice, so didn't use. Served with veggies to dip in hummus instead of salad.0 Helpful
I felt like more veg could have been added to the pita - not sure what though. Still pretty good!0 Helpful
This was okay. I liked the earlier version better. I actually went back and added more spices to the turkey. The salad was good. I used blood oranges and extra pomegranate. My husband added some of the pomegranate to his pita. It was really pretty!0 Helpful