Mushroom and Tofu Banh Miwith carrot slaw / Sriracha mayo
We have featured banh mi in the past, but we wanted to mix things up a bit with this version. Though the flavors are different than traditional Vietnamese banh mi, we kept two of our favorite banh mi toppings - pickled carrots and creamy, spicy aioli.
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.25cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 8 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Baguette - 1 (sub hoagie rolls)
- Carrots - 8 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Green onions - 1 stalk, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.25cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise and Sriracha. Add extra Sriracha if you'd like it more spicy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Carrots - Prep as directed. Carrots can be shredded using a box grater or food processor. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (if not pre-chopped). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make carrot slaw - Chop green onions. Toss carrots with green onions, vinegar (portion for the slaw), brown sugar and salt. Let sit for 20 minutes and up to a day to let flavors come together. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Toss tofu with cornstarch and some salt and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium heat. Add tofu and cook on all sides until starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes total. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Pour soy sauce and vinegar (portion for the banh mi) over top and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu and mushrooms.
- Slice baguette open. If you’d like it warm, toast.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading Sriracha mayo on baguettes. Top with tofu / mushrooms, jalapenos and some of the carrot slaw. Serve any remaining carrot slaw on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 30 reviews
I made the vegetarian option and added some hoisin to the tofu/mushroom stirfry and OMG THIS IS THE BEST SANDWICH I HAVE EVER EATEN IN MY LIFE EVER! You must try it.
Added fish sauce, celery, and cucumber to the slaw, and made it a day ahead. The bread really must be purchased same day, or it's too crusty. Yummy!
Always a winner. Love the viet flavours!
So good! Will definitely make again!
Came together really quick when you make the meatballs ahead of time with spaghetti squash.
Had my doubts but overall liked how this came together with a smoky pepper hot sauce on the meatballs and veggies.