Teriyaki Meatball Stir-Fry with bell peppers / carrots / mushrooms
We have featured teriyaki sauce and meatballs in the past, but we wanted to mix things up a bit with this version that features the combination as a stir-fry. We like bell peppers, carrots and mushrooms in this version, but feel free to adapt it with any vegetables (or a frozen stir-fry mix).
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Eggs - 1
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Carrots - 12 oz, sliced at a bias
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Pork meatballs (ingredients listed separately) - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Make meatballs - (Skip if meatballs were made and cooked ahead on Wednesday.) Mix pork, eggs, garlic powder and salt. Form into 1” / 2.5cm meatballs. Place formed meatballs on a sheet pan brushed with some oil and bake at 425F / 218C degrees until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - (Skip if teriyaki sauce was made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine aminos, vinegar, first part of water and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Mix arrowroot powder with second part of water (making sure it’s cold). Pour arrowroot powder mixture into saucepan and simmer until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Carrots / Bell peppers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Slice meatballs in half.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then jalapenos, carrots and bell peppers. Saute for 3 minutes until the vegetables start to brown in spots. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until vegetables are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Add in meatballs and teriyaki sauce and continue cooking until meatballs are heated through.
- Serve meatball stir-fry topped with some hot sauce and with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 30 reviews
I made the vegetarian option and added some hoisin to the tofu/mushroom stirfry and OMG THIS IS THE BEST SANDWICH I HAVE EVER EATEN IN MY LIFE EVER! You must try it.
Added fish sauce, celery, and cucumber to the slaw, and made it a day ahead. The bread really must be purchased same day, or it's too crusty. Yummy!
Always a winner. Love the viet flavours!
So good! Will definitely make again!
Came together really quick when you make the meatballs ahead of time with spaghetti squash.
Had my doubts but overall liked how this came together with a smoky pepper hot sauce on the meatballs and veggies.