Meatball Banh Miwith carrot slaw / Sriracha mayo
We have featured banh mi in the past, but we wanted to mix things up a bit with this version. Though the flavors are different than traditional Vietnamese banh mi, we kept two of our favorite banh mi toppings - pickled carrots and creamy, spicy aioli.
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Pork meatballs (ingredients listed separately) - 1 lb
- Baguette - 1 (sub hoagie rolls)
- Carrots - 8 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Green onions - 1 stalk, white and green parts chopped and combined
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Make meatballs - (Skip if meatballs were made and cooked ahead on Wednesday.) Mix pork, eggs, panko, garlic powder and salt. Form into 1” / 2.5cm meatballs. Place formed meatballs on a sheet pan brushed with some oil and bake at 425F / 218C degrees until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise and Sriracha. Add extra Sriracha if you'd like it more spicy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Carrots - Prep as directed. Carrots can be shredded using a box grater or food processor. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make carrot slaw - Chop green onions. Toss carrots with green onions, vinegar, brown sugar and salt. Let sit for 20 minutes and up to a day to let flavors come together. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Slice meatballs in half.
- Slice baguette open. If you’d like it warm, toast.
- Warm meatballs in the microwave. Toss with a splash of soy sauce (not on ingredients list) if they seem dry.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading Sriracha mayo on baguettes. Top with meatballs, jalapenos and some of the carrot slaw. Serve any remaining carrot slaw on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 30 reviews
Veggies were great, but the meat just didn't go and was everybody's least favorite. Just ok.
I added cilantro because a bahn mi really needs it imo. Delicious!!
This was a little bland. I may try adding more sriracha or some other spices next time.
Seemed dry and lacking flavor. Also the portion seemed small
Substituted veggie meatballs for the pork meatballs, as the vegetarian version didn't sound appealing. It was just okay.
Delicious and fun meal. Would prefer matchstick carrots next time.