Teriyaki Meatball Stir-Fry with bell peppers / carrots / mushrooms
We have featured teriyaki sauce and meatballs in the past, but we wanted to mix things up a bit with this version that features the combination as a stir-fry. We like bell peppers, carrots and mushrooms in this version, but feel free to adapt it with any vegetables (or a frozen stir-fry mix).
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Eggs - 1
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Carrots - 12 oz, sliced at a bias
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Pork meatballs (ingredients listed separately) - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Make meatballs - (Skip if meatballs were made and cooked ahead on Wednesday.) Mix pork, eggs, garlic powder and salt. Form into 1” / 2.5cm meatballs. Place formed meatballs on a sheet pan brushed with some oil and bake at 425F / 218C degrees until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - (Skip if teriyaki sauce was made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine aminos, vinegar, first part of water and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Mix arrowroot powder with second part of water (making sure it’s cold). Pour arrowroot powder mixture into saucepan and simmer until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Carrots / Bell peppers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Slice meatballs in half.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then jalapenos, carrots and bell peppers. Saute for 3 minutes until the vegetables start to brown in spots. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until vegetables are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Add in meatballs and teriyaki sauce and continue cooking until meatballs are heated through.
- Serve meatball stir-fry topped with some hot sauce and with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 30 reviews
Would definitely like to see more on the sandwich than just jalapenos and carrot, but loved how easily this came together. Our jalapeno was crazy spicy so I had to pick it off. Would like another side for this (we had chips).
Loved this! Next time I will quick-pickle additional veggies like radishes and cucumber for the bahn mi.
I made turkey meatballs and it was delicious.
Yummy!! Even the hubby liked it!
Where's the cilantro? :(
I roasted the tofu and mushrooms so not 100% as written but another favorite.